Frostbites: Cold soba noodle salad

Posted by

My first food post on this blog! For this section of my blog I'll be posting recipes featuring ingredients that are in season and also just random awesome recipes that I find.

When it gets hot outside, I pretty much want to stop eating in fear of my metabolism increasing my body temperature. But I love food, so I can't just stop eating. My solution? Eat cold things. (Although I've heard that eating cold things actually makes you hotter... but that can't be true, no one eats ice cream in the winter... well I do, but only because I have an addiction)
I found this wonderful recipe (here: http://habituallyhungry.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/spring-soba-noodles-with-shrimp-asparagus/) for soba noodle salad which is perfect for this time of year because you can serve it cold and it has asparagus and cucumbers which are both in season. You can substitute the soba for quinoa which also tastes awesome.

 Please refer to the link for the recipe and instructions. (I feel bad for posting someone else's writing and I'm too lazy to write it up myself)

 For the dressing I halved the recipe.

Tips for zesting/ juicing a lemon
Zest before you juice! Otherwise you end up trying to zest a squishy lemon that doesn't work very well.
If you don't have a zester.. get one, they're awesome, but your cheese grater will work pretty well.


Before you juice a lemon, microwave your lemon for 10-30 seconds and roll it over a counter pressing on it slightly. This will give you more juice.
If you have a lemon zester, you can use it to grate ginger too!

 I found the world's tiniest honey bear jar





The recipe calls for "shoyu" sauce, which is same thing as soy sauce.
In restrospect, I think you can skip the olive oil...
since you put in lots of sesame oil
I chopped my cucumber into long thin slices like noodles

Make sure to cut off the tough ends of the asparagus, the best way is to snap off the ends.

Once the noodles and asparagus are done, drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.




I topped my salad with some peanuts and served it cold even though the recipe says to serve it warm.
Enjoy!



Leave a Reply

About Me

a DIY blog by 23year old Allyssa who loves fashion, creating things and good food. Her projects are inspired by trends, pretty things, or simply because she decided she'd rather make it than pay for it.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.